Tuesday, August 28, 2012

173: Eurasian Spoonbill


Eurasian Spoonbill - Platalea leucorodia

Another poor shot I know but I have to say this was about a kilometre away this time on the levels at Minsmere. I have not seen one of these birds in the UK for a good 14 years. The first time a stumbled on them was a party of 7 at Cley on the first trip I made up there I think in the Summer of 1999.

These birds were extinct as a breeding bird in the UK back then. Careful management at numerous sites led sporadic breeding in various places - the odd pair here and there. There is now a breeding colony of 10 pairs established on the North Norfolk coast from I think 2010 - the original pioneers having drifted over from a small stronghold in Holland. This is the far North of their range - they will migrate back to Southern Europe or Africa each Winter as far as I am aware.

This sideways view doesn't get a good look at the spatulate bill - just had to get that word in ! When they are in breeding plumage the male adults get some very fine yellow plumes on the neck which add to the overall effect. I will have to get a better shot and upgrade this posting at some point. I felt like a sniper lying on teh ground resting the lense and trying to keep still to photograph what was a white dot to naked eye !

Minsmere
August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment