Monday, September 17, 2012

176 : Red-necked Spurfowl


Red-necked Spurfowl - Francolinus afer

Its strange that birds will ignore a giant safari truck clattering through the bush. They just cannot see the people sat inside and I guess for all the world they think it is a giant noisy elephant. This seems to be the case early in the morning as well. Birds such as these Spurfowl will sit out on the track in full view and allow lovely close up shots leaning just over the edge of the truck with the camera and when the edges switches off the whole world stops. These are "shy birds" according to the field guides I have read. I've seen one before in India where they are very scarce but it was off through the understorey before I could get a shot. I think on that occasion all I saw was the head of the male stretching up from behind a log.

There are actually 3 birds in this shot - a young bird is nestled between the female (front) and her partner (red facial skin).

There is something about the early morning and light with birds - you do feel like you are intruding on a natural moment - a time that you are not supposed to see. Anyone that plays golf early, walks a dog, cycles to work or indeed birdwatches (when they are supposed to) knows the feeling. The rabbit in the back garden, the last fox crossing a road, a woodpecker on a lawn or a deer in a field. I wish I was a morning person but really I'm not. I enjoy sitting up and watching too much television and I hate napping during  the day. It does make your weekend feel longer and its probably why every day on safari is worth two as time slows down and the world grinds to a halt - the animals and birds just stop for a moment too. In fact they are never ''rushing" - they are just living. We should get up early - but not to work - simply to watch the world when it has stopped - when most of us are tucked away and quiet and not pushing on to get everything down yesterday.

I feel like sowing seeds this weekend and I will see if I can post up a few more pictures of the world when it has stopped. I might bake some bread - Saturday I will venture out early and see what is on the move across Arabia on its way back to Africa. The 100,000 th generation of corncrakes on its way back South or or Pallid Harrier or a Red-rumped Swallow. They are on the move but the are not rushing as they have an eternity. They were here before our houses, cars and noise.

Red-necked Spurfowl, Francolinus Afer
Olakira Camp, Northern Serengetti by Mara River, Tanzania
July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment