Sunday, January 6, 2013

235 : Bank Mynah


Bank Mynah - Acridotheres ginginianus

I took off for some New Year birding yesterday on my Saturday morning. I spent a couple of hours getting a ckick in my neck chasing warblers around some trees. I found a couple of heron species next to a private lake in Safa park in Dubai. I found a pleasing little Common Sandpiper feeding on a manicured lawn. But nothing new for the camera. I then mamaged to delete all the pictures on my camera card including pitcures of a fancy dress party the night before which was disapointing.

So I am relying on a previous visit to the Pivot Fields in Dubai shortly before Xmas. There are 3 species of Mynah in the UAE all of which are now logged on this site, Common, Pied and Bank. The Common and Banks Mynahs are common and noisy and unfortunately relegate to the level of park birds that hang about the bins. They have something of the "Angry Birds"look about them. They are escapes or have wandered across from India where they are a bird of Northern India - the countryside but also foraging at towns at markets and railway stations and the like for food scraps.

Pivot Fields, Dubai
December 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment