Wednesday, March 13, 2013

250 : Armenian Gull


Armenian Gull - Larus Armenicus

In amongst the jumble on the beach here are a number of specimens that look superficially like Heron Gulls - their dark eyes, dark band at the end of the bill, overall size and colouring (grey backs) have them fixed in my book at Armenian Gulls. Formerly "lumped" with Herring Gull they are now recognised as a species in their own right. I am torn between being a lumper and a splitter. The more splits there are to see the more I am chained to this website for life (I am anyway). Equally though sub-species are difficult. I leave it to the guys who DNA test. They discovered a new owl recently by demonstrating that it lived on its own island and had its own call. I think the test is that they have their own range and do not interbreed to any extent.

These birds are probably over wintering from Western Iran. This large congregation was staking out the fishing port on the Omani side of the border at Dibba.



Thats 250 birds - the pace has slowed in recent weeks. Passage is however upon us and it is incumbent on me to spend some time in the field to try to get some new shots. The rugby season will be played out also in a few weeks (I coach - more like shout !) and I will have more time at the weekends to spend in the field. I should be aiming for at least a morning a week. Its almost time for the annual bird trip - I am fancying somewhere exotic like the UK this year ! So much more I could do with Sri Lanka as well - there is a low cost flight option into a second airport now with Air Arabia - and a world of endemic birds that I hardly touched on on my last trip. Or back to India to Goa and straight up into the rain forest ? All I need is an eco-lodge somwhere, a veranda and time to sit back and take photos. Another idea is Salalah in Oman although I might save that one up for the rains ! I saw it on Wild Arabia the new BBC nature piece and it looked amazing. Leopard, striped Hyena, Arabian Wolves, Verreuxs Eagles preying on Rock Hyrax. Who knew I keep asking my wife as we watch the thing. Some of the little cameos closer to home were quite fun - lots of great space age shots of Dubai etc.

I leave you with what I believe is a Hawksbill Turtle from the same trip - that or a Green but I think I can see the making of a beak, the shell is rounder and there is a distinct eyebrow line on one. I am no turtle expert !



Armenian Gull, Larus Armenicus
Oman, coast near Dibba
February 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment