Friday, April 12, 2013

255 : Tree Pipit


Tree Pipit - Anthus Trivialis

On the way back to my car from my close encounter with a clan of Bee Eaters  I got involved with an altogther more subtle migrant encounter. Welcome to the world of Pipits - the archetypal "LBJ" - Little Brown jobs. Add Larks and Sparrows and quite a few of the warblers (although LBJ does them all a disservice) and you have a big headache.

Step one for me is always the bill and the overall shape. Longer and thinner like this - with a longer and sleeker body and we are into Pipit territory. Just pray they aren't flying.

My options in this part of the world with a broadly brown Pipit are Tawny, Long-Billed, Blyth's, Richard's, Olive-backed, Tree, Meadow and Red-Throated - I guess Water as well.

So bit by bit you can start to narrow it down. Click on the link to Richard's Pipit above and you will see an altogether more upright bird. This bird is far more horizontal in its aspect.


Now if you have a look at both Richard's and Tawny (link above) you will note a real lack of the spotting on the breast and flank as with this bird.


Once we have a not so upright spotted on the front and sides Pipit I think I am narrowed down to Meadow, Tree, Red-throated and Olive Backed. Olive-Backed I need a very distinct cream supercilium mostly to the rear of the eye with a clear dark border. Not happening here ! Red-Throated and Meadow have far more bolder dots in an unbroken line on the flanks. Red-throated starts to show a much redder head and throat even in the Summer. That kind of leaves me with Tree Pipit with the broken up lines on the flanks and lack of a reddening throat.

Its not an exact but I am fairly confident that this is a Tree Pipit. I can always post to the UAE bird forum for one of the guys with more experience to confirm it for me. One day they will all line up for me in something like a police photo line. Bit by bit I am piecing together the story on my site.

LBJ though is a disservice - as I have said before you need a bit of misty buff in your life as a birder. I don't spend enough time in the field to be confident enough - But I am getting there and thank god for digital cameras.

Whats'going to be about tomorrow ?

Tree Pipit, Anthus trivialius
Safa Park, Dubai
10 April 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment