Wednesday, July 10, 2013

263 : Red-billed Firefinch


Red-billed Firefinch - Lagonosticta senegala

This beautiful little jewel of a bird was common in Ruaha National Park - I have a difference of opinion  with our fantastic guide Lorenzo here as he claimed them as "African" Firefinch or "rubricata". This shot was taken down by the river one afternoon in a messy fallen tree that also contained the nests of a number of herons and night-herons.

I am a bit short of time this morning - so my landscape shot is the truck and a huge sky - this pretty much sums up our time. Our mode of transport in Ruaha was a huge Toyota safari truck - when I grow up I want one !


Finally today on the mammal front I thought I'd leave this brief post with a picture of a vervet monkey. These were found down by the river in amongst the ficus and mahogany trees but not in the drier areas of the park.



Tony our trainee guide had a blood feud with them - they stole a piece of fruit from him as a child. Not this particular individual though was it !

Red-billed Firefinch, Lagonosticta senegala
Ruaha National Park, Tanzania
29 June-5 July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment