Sunday, January 5, 2014

295 : Brown-necked Raven


Brown-necked Raven - Corvus ruficollis

I will really need to come back and post better.

Camping again at New Year again, a pair of Brown-necked Ravens would come and circle the camp first thing in the morning while I was boiling water to make the tea. You would hear them before you saw them - their deep rolling croaks echoing off of the canyon walls. I thought they were remarkably nosy ! They really did check out what we were doing each day but I guess they were looking for scraps of food.

These are a slightly smaller Raven than the Common Raven in the North - still sporting the cruciform look and the diamond shaped tale but perhaps 20 % smaller. The Common Raven gets down as far as Southern Iraq but not really into the Arabian Peninsula proper. So another life tick.

I will hunt some down and get a better picture soon !

Oman, Hajar Mountains
30 December 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment