Sunday, August 3, 2014

306 : Warbling Vireo


Warbling Vireo - Vireo gilvus

I could be so wrong with this its ridiculous but I have done the best I can - From bookwork. My Sibley (the equivalent of say Collins Bird Guide for the UK) is just awash with small yellowy birds - I have ignored a slew of wood warblers - well not ignored them but just discounted by range and likelihood. I need a kind North American birder to drop past and point me in the right direction.


Basically yellow below and grey and olive above with quite a plain face.The alternative is a Yellow Warbler (?) - a juvenile which can show the grey and yellow (?)

I will stick with my Vireo almost as my 80 % place marker and I am sure that if there is an error the great teacher - time in the field - will help me out in due course. Its not unknown for whole pages to be relabelled retrospectively on this site. It is confidently though the 305 th bird in the collection - whatever the hell it is !

I have to finish with a picture to give you some idea of the sea mists here which are spectacular. One just rolled in like a great cotton wool bank and smothered the whole place for two hours. I caught this earlier today from the promontory rolling across the bay into Chesterman Beach. Cold sea and warmer air. Makes for good wine as well.



Warbling Vireo, Vireo gilvus
Torfino, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
2 August 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment