Tuesday, May 24, 2011

17 : Green-Backed (Striated) Heron


Green-Backed (Striated) Heron - Butorides Striatus

Another Mauritius bird but a little more obliging than a Pink Pigeon. The photo was taken in the botanical gardens in Pampelmouse. This bird in turns danced on stalks and cavorted on lily leaves no doubt releaving the gardeners of some of their fish stock.

It does have a glint in its eye - if you woke up and one of these was perched on your bedstead I accept it would make you start. I am sure it just has a decent focus for grabbing little fish. I know some people don't like birds because of their bills, feet and eyes. We tend to project our own emotions onto them. Believe me this bird is not malevolent - just doing its thing.

There are a lot of herons, egrets and bitterns - 63 and according to my mate Collins 5 are vulnerable and 3 endangered. 2 or 3 species are known to have become extinct since 1600.

My mother-in-law is quite fond of my bird antics although she does think that I am a bit of a ticker and lister - stamp collecting she called it. Anyway she sent me a card once - true comic brilliance - "Egrets - I've had a few - but then again too few to mention". I then got a plate with an Audobon Heron picture on it. Little Egrets were a real excitement when they swept round the UK in the last 15 years and turned up near my parents in law - global warming ? All herons (perhaps not Bitterns) make for good photographs for obvious reasons so we should be seeing quite a few on them on these pages. I am having one of my evenings when I am wondering whether I can actually keep this up for 27 years but I can certainly make a real go at denting the herons as they are easy I think.

Diversity is the celebration of life. I was looking at a list today of a party of five Dutchman who spent 3 weeks in Ethiopia and saw 500 birds species. They also saw 20 species of ungalates, different wolves, jackals and foxes, monkeys - the lists went on.

I think the lists are just to try and cause you to remember how much you have seen. I have checked the flight prices and schedules to Ethiopia - al very doable so that might be my first mad dash and the Summer when the families desert Dubai (leaving stray Males) is soon upon us."What are you doing this weekend Neil ?" Ah - flying to Ethiopia to go and photograph Abysynian Roller (not even sure if thats a bird). Its quite close from here - a short 4 day hop to add a Ground Hornbill or too - if I saw a rare Ethiopian Wolf it certainly wouldn't be a wasted trip. When I am at 9000 with 900 to go this post will make sense - to me I hope. Even 5000 with 5000 to go would be stupendous. I think my first milestone will be 100 birds as that will be 1% of the Task complete. We will be there by the end of the Summer.

Sorry to ramble and muse this evening - this heron is perfectly adapted for stealing fish in a botanical park - its quite a good photo by my standards and a handsome bird.

Striated Heron (Butorides striatus)
Mauritius - Pampelmouse botanical gardens - July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment