Tuesday, May 10, 2011

3 : European Robin


European Robin - Erithacis rubecula

I like this picture. I think it is one of the few feather perfect pictures of a bird I have ever taken and it is no suprise.

First of all to clear something up the inclusion of the "European" is to avoid confusion with the other Robins that will have to meet on our 27 year journey (I am still grappling with the sheer stupidty of this task). All bird names have been given at least two names now. You'll find lots of "Northerns" as we go along for example.

I am not sure exactly what larger bird family this Robin falls him - some books have them with Chats and Thrushes and my Collins Birds of the world has them with "Old World Flycatchers". We won't worry for now and the confusion perhaps illustrates a point. Around the world there are dozens of robins that fall in different families but still have the name Robin. The nicknames also for many birds around the world are Robins and thats because as European men spread and travelled it would have been one of the very few species that they all would have been familiar with from home. Any nice looking, confiding and similar sized bird would be labelled a Robin.

Man and Robin must have formed a bond thousands of years ago the first time that cultivation took place. When I started gardening I used to take great delight in any robin that would come and grub about as I turned soil. They hop and then look at you sideways out of that big shiny dark eye. Waiting for the next turn of the trowel or spade.

This picture was taken at RSPB Conwy, the Christmas before last when we flew home for the holiday to see my wife's Mum. I remember trudging round the lake that day and seeing a few distant views of some ducks, the odd Great Tit, a Coot or two but really nothing special - and then - oh "just" a Robin, sat on a post by a hide. I had had nothing much else to look at. As I did though it dawned on me that in Dubai I would not be seeing too many Robins. I took a picture. Like those first European wanderers and settlers I would be looking at new Robins now.

Its a feather perfect picture because thats how close a Robin will let you come. They will let you feed them by hand over time. So not just a Robin after all or a cliche from a Xmas card. Actually the Robin that made me realise I had left England for quite some time. I think you appreciate some things from a distance.

European Robin - Erithicus rubecula
RSPB Conwy - 28 December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment