Sunday, April 22, 2012

108 : Pale Crag (African Rock) Martin


Pale Crag Martin - Ptyonoprogne fuligula

Another new species for me both in life and with the camera. These birds were swirling around high up on Jebil Hafite last weekend. I find Martins quite difficult to identify in the air - especially in places wher you are likely to encounter sevveral speices. You may be likely to catch a quick flash of a identification feature. 

This birds perched on the side of a carved off rock face long enough for me to get a picture. I think any Hirundine (the family with Martins and Swifts) looks distinctly alien in the appearance of the head. The large dark eyes and an almost seal like appearance. The eyes are much more forward facing given them a mammal like quality.I like the way this bird is using its still tail to cling to the rock face a little like a woodpecker when it props itself against a tree drunk to drill a hole.

Jebil Hafite, UAE
April 21 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment