Friday, October 4, 2013

280 : African Scops-Owl


African Scops-Owl, Otus senegalensis

There are birding moments to last a lifetime. This tiny owl was snoozing on a rock just next to the track. My wife had great delight in taking a picture of Lorenzo, our guide and myself almost cuddling the thing. I was within perhaps 4 feet taking this shot.


You can't see the owl which is perched on the rock behind the tree. I wouldn't have cared if a lion walked past I was so in the zone with the camera and this beautiful creature. I could of reached out at one point and touched her - Lorenzo was just giggling and we edged closer and closer.


This owl is no more than 17 cm tall - so 7 inches - half a school ruler and a bit. These birds are supposed to roost in a tree or bush - this little guy was obviously enjoying the warmth from the rock and the sun - sunbathing ! When they are awake they hunt insects - moths, grasshoppers, beetles but also at times small rodents, geckos, scorpions and even small birds - much of the prey being taken on the wing. Absolutely delightful encounter.

Coming back into camp I had just nipped to spend a penny when Lorenzo came crashing across to the mess tent with news of a leopard perhaps a kilometre from camp. Some very italian driving down the hill followed and the adrenalin was high.

We caught up with Joy - thats Furaha in Swahili and she is a joy. The guides know her and she holds a territory near to Kwihala - recently she has been seen mating by one of the guides. I must write to camp to find out if there is any news yet. I don't think I need to say any more but just post the pictures. Much smaller than I imagined - a ghost - a graceful killer.







I am not sure how I will ever get a better portrait of a leopard - shot of a lifetime.

Happy Days !

African Scops Owl
Ruaha National Park, Tanzania
July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment