Friday, October 4, 2013

281 : Goliath Heron


Goliath Heron - Ardea Goliath 

Back down by the mighty Ruaha River for the greatest of all the herons. Over a metre and half tall they are taller by half a metre than a Great White Egret and they are four times as heavy. Their wingspan is a full metre bigger than a grey heron - 7 feet ! In flight I am told they appear monstrous - barely managing to get airbourne and they hang their legs straight down rather than trailing them behind like other herons.  I have been itching to see one of these since I first set foot in Africa. They are usually found by swamps and lakes.


In my research to write this short piece I came across some footage that is not for the squeemish - a Goliath Heron eating a baby crocodile a good foot or more long - I am not sure the thing is even killed before it is swallowed whole ! Anyway here's  the link if you want to put yourself of lunch.

I leave you a picture of some lions enjoying the view out across the river. Taking a very keen interest in the buffalo making their way along the riverbank. It was a lovely spot.


Goliath Heron, Ardea Goliath
Ruaha National Park, Tanzania
July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment