Tuesday, May 17, 2016

334 : Greater Yellowlegs


Greater Yellowlegs - Tringa flavipes

This is a very "vanilla" american wader and happy to pick this up. Told apart from Lesser Yellowlegs by bill length. Its bigger obviously and has more markings across the mantle and neck. The bill is also slightly upturned. The bill should be obviously longer than the head. For me the slight upturn is evidenced above. There is almost a "smile".


Obviously I decided that even with 400 mm of bird cannon I needed to be closer which of course benefits with the in-flight photo.

I am realising now that I didn't really push through my Florida photos with any great drive. I have hundreds of "bad snaps" as a camera setting went wrong at one point. I will piece together what I can.

Next week I have a free day in the UK in between a business trip and going to Dorney Lake to watch my son row in the National Schools Championships. End of May in the UK ? I reckon I should be able to review what I have and specifically target breeding birds. What I need between now and next Friday is an audit of all the UK birds and what I actually have a photo of. Armed with a list I could be ruthless and make a dash for perhaps 30 or so bird species in a day ? Has to be done. I will report on the UK gaps in my post to see where we are. There must be a couple of hundred at least.

Greater Yellowlegs, Tringa flavipes
Grand Lakes, Florida
November 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment