Friday, June 3, 2011

26 : Hoopoe


Hoopoe - Upupa epops

I am day behind so apologies - 2 posts today to make up for a missing 2nd of June. We keep the blistering pace of a bird a day to make sure we finish in time. It really would be drag if I am still doing this in my 70's.

This photo of a Hoopoe was taken on my lawn out of the window - I am not sure when it was taken. I was so pleased when we moved to Dubai to realise that Hoopoes would be part of the scenery. This is a bird with large range in the "old world" but not the UK where it is a vagrant. These are birds that grub about for insects and larvae in the grass - the bill is designed for probing. The crest is used for display and as we have mirror windows they will sometimes raise their crest to see off their own reflection. In flight they have quite flappy bouncy flight - almost like a butterly or moth. The black and white markings on the wing and peachy pink plumage is absilutely distinctive. They are real characters and swapping them for starlings on our lawn has not been a chore.

Below - latest Hoopoe portrait with the new Canon and big Bertha the lense.



Hoopoe - Upupa epops
Dubai

No comments:

Post a Comment