Tuesday, June 21, 2011

44 : Indian (Common) Peafowl


Indian (Common) Peafowl - Pavo cristatus

Here's a bird we all feel we know - although I am not sure whether I actually knew it by any other name than Peacock. These are part of the Pheasant, Partridges, Grouse and Buttonquail family - Phasianidae - an extensive old World bird family with 155 species. The chickens emerged from this group as described in my post #18 on the Sri Lanka Junglefowl. That probably accounts for why we shoot this order of birds as the they are quite tasty. I note that out of 155 species 32 are listed as endangered - being good for the pot can't help can it.

These old world pheasants tend to have brightly coloured males and in the Peafowl the male has taken it to extremes. I am not actually sure  I got the money shot of a Peackock displaying with its tail (or train ?) fanned out. As I say we feel we know them because every country house in Europe has them perched on the stone walls calling out across a slightly colder landscape. This bird has a range across South Asia and this photo was taken in the Yala national park in Sri Lanka.

Indian (Common) Peafowl
Pavo cristatus
15-18 April 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment