Tuesday, May 1, 2012

110 : Corncrake


Corncrake - Crex crex

What is this doing in Safa Park ! Belongs in a hay field in June ! The last time I came across one of these birds it was embedded in deap nettles and grass throwing its voice like a ventriloquist. That sound of the Summer plastic comb being scraped with a pen.



I got word of this bird from a UAE birding website. There is a small but active group of birders here who seem very good at pooling information. This bird was pottering around the edge of an ornamental maze in the main park at Safa in teh middle of town. Corki the corncrake was very obliging two days on the trot and I have a heap of fantastic pictures.



My field guide states that these are very scarce migrants in this part of the world. Interestingly a second bird was showing in Mamzar park at the same time.

Its the weekend here almost and then I am off to the UK on business next week. That feels like a foreign birding location. I will try and get a good haul of birds while I am over.

Safa Park, Dubai
30 May 2012 & 2 May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment