Wednesday, May 30, 2012

123 : Red-rumped Swallow


Red-rumped Swallow - Crecopis daurica

I am pleased with this photo. This was taken at Ramnagar in the very early morning. This mother was feeding her chicks who had now fledged and were lined up on a wire. The sun was behind me and to the side showing up the colours perfectly. The thing I have discovered also is that background is important. If you can get a nice green background or an interesting background - even a good perch the picture is 100% better. I have pictures of birds perched next to rubbish and you know what ....

This is the second swallow species I have logged - the first was "our" Barn Swallow. There are 89 species of swallow in the world and all I can say is that I hope they all perch on wires in the full sun on every occasion for me ! Swallows form a bigger Group - the "Hirundines" with Martins and Sawwings. I had never heard of Sawwings before just now. There are swallows of every colour of the rainbow. The brick or roufous red rump of this swallow in full sun was as gorgeous in real life as it looks in this photo. The dipped in dark blue ink mantle gives way to a more purple caste for the wings on the adult bird - subtle but stunning. Colours do make birds but we have to be disciplined and do some brown ones again in short while !

Ramnagar, Bangalore plains
25 Aoril 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment