Friday, May 25, 2012

119 : Indian Grey Hornbill



Indian Grey Hornbill - Ocyceros birostris

I wrote a short piece about Hornbills generally when I was in the Yala - way back at post 4 here. Its funny because you look these things up and then a year later you are witnessing them.

Isn't he (or she) a fine specimen. So we learnt the last time that Hornbill's nest in holes and that when the eggs are being incubated the females gets walled in. I am currently in Banagalore - tapping this up in the Oberoi. I have hired a guide for two days and am ploughing my way through some fantastic Indian birds. The picture above is the picture of the day I think.

While we were out today "Dhillon" and I stumbled across some knarled old trees with what appeared to be a Hornbill city or more like village. Grey Hornbills were flying in all the time to different holes to feed the chicks which we could hear from perhaps 15 m away.



They were collecting fruit and then passing it into the nesting holes - probably mashed up and regurgitated from the crop.



 I would love to stay on to watch (what must be) very ugly Hornbill chicks fledging. I am sure you would have to be a Mumma Hornbill to love one.

Today I am just loving Indian Grey Hornbills. Bed now as just 5 hours before I am out again on my birdathon. Tomorrow grasslands I think and then some more mountains.


So they do nest in holes and feed the chicks in the holes. Just proved post 4 to some extent - I think to be wild for a couple of days is no bad thing.

Indian Grey Hornbills - Oceyceros Birostris
Near Banglore
25 April 2012


ee

No comments:

Post a Comment