Monday, May 25, 2015

318 : Great Crested Flycatcher


Great Crested Flycatcher - Myiarchus crinitus

When you are in the field after a couple hours you often wonder what more could turn up. Keep going as around that corner in my experience anything can and will happen. There is a direct correlation between looking and seeing or exploring and learning. Time invested is time well spent.

I think I just stopped round a corner and immediately saw this bird fluttering between  perches - always returning to this branch and on this occasion with what looks like a big Cicada. I knew it was a "tyrant flycatcher" type family bird. A purchase of a big new Sibley from Barnes and Noble sorted it out later. Each US type bird seems to have 3 or 4 geographic varieties of species. So from West to East this was either Dusky-capped, Ash-throated, Brown-Crested, Great-Crested or Nutting's flycatcher. The Great-Crested seems to tally up with identification marks and range. Its is a Summer visitor to this part of Florida but seems to over-Winter in the very South. It had quite a fluttery week flight.

I promised some other characters. The butterflies in this part of the world are stupendous. I will start with this Gulf Fritillary. Firstly the handsome orange overwing.


But just look at this for a stunning butterfly - perched and the underwing view. I am happy with this photo !


I now have a book which is helpful - I think that when in the US in the warmer months I am going to double up with butterflies. Perhaps I can use them with poorly shot brown birds to brighten up a post. There are hundreds of US species and most of the parks in Florida claim about 50.

Great Crested Flycatcher, Myiarchus crinitus 
Orlando Wetlands Park, Christmas, Florida
24 May 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment