Wednesday, May 27, 2015

322 : Eastern Meadlowlark


Eastern Meadowlark - Sturnella magna

A nice dashing lark of open grasslands. I got very excited on the drive into the Disney Wildlife Preservation. My first views of a low flying bird with down curved fast beating wings  had me convinced that I was looking at some form of grouse, quail or partridge. The bird then sat up on a bush singing and I pounded out 30 or 40 shots to try and get a good one. Reminded me a bit of the Longspur from the Serengetti. Similar yellow colouring and so on and size and habitat. This reserve certainly had the feel of some type of savannah at its entrance.



Typically then there was a pair of them sat on the lawn at the education centre (shot above) that I could just walk up to and snap. It is always the way !

Eastern Meadowlark, Sturnella magna
Disney Wilderness Preservation, Kissamee, Florida, USA
26 May 2015

1 comment: