Sunday, December 2, 2012

200 : Silverbird


Silverbird - Empidornis semipartitus

An African flycatcher that reminds me very much of one of my favourite birds the Tickel's Blue Flycatcher. Clearly a very close relative. I stopped the safari van and did the hold your breath, squeeze gently and get those feathers sharp and clear job on this. Luckily a flycatcher will perch for you. I think he speaks for himself. Stunning. I want to see another one !! Now the pressure off to get the shot.

200 birds are now up on the site - it has taken me 18 months rather than 6 1/2 months so the mathematics of the Daily Bird are clearly not working. We know by now that the Task won't be complete and that I am going to fail in this. Who gives a monkeys though.

Without the Daily Bird I am not sure I would have been on safari as it led me into thinking about more nature travel - although probably Mrs C pushing a mini-Safari in Sri Lanka was the thing that reignited the passion for collecting those ticks. I wouldn't own a big fat lens. I would never have met Dhillon and Bopani and climbed 500 steps up to a Hindu temple to look for a rare Bulbul. You could have the one without the other - the travel and the ticks without the site but isn't this the point. Whatever you love there is unfortunately a finite amount of time within which to enjoy it to its full. If you love birding I guess you don't need so much of push to get out of the door. Listing is a different obession - I can't do a year list now - thats too much pressure and I have a family that need to see me. I spent many weekends when the kids were very small walking around Sheppey or Surrey on my own and being late for Sunday dinner. A life list with pictures though is more than a race - its actually a life of travel and places. I can already see that the need to feed the Daily Bird another 100 birds is going to take me somewhere new in 2013.

Time to celebrate with lunch - out to the beach bar and grill with some good friends.I remember number 95 I was very pleased about and that was a brie sandwich with Mrs Balls peach chutney.

I am very chuffed with that last 100 !! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season - time for those 2013 resolutions - whatever it is just don't put it off. Learn to sail - fly to Vienna to see some Wagner - visit Ghettysburg - fly a kite ! Buy a fishing rod - plant some seeds - bake a loaf - learn the guitar. I am quite chuffed with my Silverbird - never heard of one before ! Smart bird and super holiday. I saw a lot of new birds this year. All of them stunning - it wasn't the point though.

Tanzania, Serengetti, Mara River, Olakira Camp
July 2012
 

No comments:

Post a Comment