Saturday, December 22, 2012

229 : Emerald-spotted Wood Dove


Emerald-spotted Wood-Dove - Turtur chalcospilos

I am still literally wading through a the many pictures I took of life ticks on that first afternoon's game drive at Lake Manyara. I could have stopped the the safari truck every 20 yards. I am sure for a couple of hours I decided with Jane that I could not photograph everything so bird after bird was falling through the net.

The thing about taking pictures as I go along actually does give me the sense that I can really tick the bird and almost tuck it an albulm for posterity like a stamp. This is a pleasing little wood dove - identified by its range as I cannot see the diagnostic back. It doesnt have a black bill or a yellow tipped red bill either - this is more grey. Thats rules out next door neighbour wood-doves the Blue-Spotted or the Black-billed. So a nice piece of book work a couple of days before Xmas and a dove thats new to me just stumbled over in the 1000 or so pictures from Lake Manyara. Mine forever.

July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment