Thursday, December 13, 2012

214 : African Grey Hornbill


African Grey Hornbill - Tockus nasutus

Gregory our driver for the first 4 or 5 days of our holiday stopped to let us take some shots of something as we were driving from Arusha across the plain to the descent into the Great Rift Valley. I managed to get a shot of this hornbill which I identifed later from a book with a little help from Gregory. The beauty of the digital camera is that you can get off a snap and then blow it up on a screen and get the field guide out.



Even from this shot you can see how far the bird was away and bins and books are a bad mix.

The thing I love about this site now is that I am starting to get a handle on Hornbills. I know a few of them. We are getting there !  5 out of 54 species ! I have "collected" Indian Grey, Southern-Ground, Malabar Pied and Van der Decken's along with this African Grey Hornbill. If you search the site - tap in Hornbill in the box you'll get a little list of my Hornbill collection. Try Barbet ! its ace. I never thought I'd get this far and I have got nowhere - its all shaping up nicely though.

Road to Lake Manyara, Tanzania
July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment