Friday, February 17, 2012

54 : Desert Wheatear


Desert Wheatear - Oenanthe deserti

I haven't posted for about 5 months which has set back the target finishing date on the Task somewhat. I remain committed and with this 54 th bird I am clearly over the half a per cent mark of the world's birds ! You will recall that there are just under 10,000 birds in the world.

This school half term we travelled to Sir Baniyas which is a small Gulf island off the Western Region of the United Arab Emirates. I cannot recall having seen a Desert Wheatear before which seems an obvious bird for the Gulf. This handsome male bird was pottering around the small harbour where we caught the private ferry over to the island. The island itself was a nature reserve/canned Safari Park created by Sheikh Zayed. I reserve my judgement on the wisdom of having 2000 or so ungalates milling about on an island as easy prey for 5 equally canned Cheetahs. I guess it beats a zoo but it isn't Tanzania thats for certain. Anyway a good time was had by all. The bird highlight for me was this wheatear at the start of the break.

Desert Wheatear - Oenanthe deserti
Sir Baniyas Ferry terminal UAE
11 February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment