Friday, February 17, 2012

56 : Steppe Eagle


Steppe Eagle - Aquila nipalensis

Oh yeah you say ! How do you know that ? Poor Photo ! Well its a bit of cheating but the ranger on Sir Baniyas told me that it was the first time they had had a Steppe Eagle overwintering. I am used to seeing Greater Spotted Eagle in Dubai as one or two overwinter to snack on the flamingos at Ras Al Khor - the books tell me that a Steppe Eagle is larger but there is an overlap in size. This was a big bird - definately an eagle with a proper "hand" of feathers at the end of the primaries.

I saw it a few times - flushed it once from a delightful gazelle carcass with spilled guts. I am not sure that the Cheetahs are that wild if they kill a gazelle and chew off one ear before getting bored.

My books tell me that Steppe Eagle do overwinter in Arabia - they also confirm that they will predate baby antelopes and scavenge on dead adults so that all adds up ! Sir Baniyas is Macodonalds for overwintering Steppe Eagles. I am suprised they have not found it sooner.


Yum Yum - Steppe Eagle takeaway

There are 20-30,000 pairs of these birds in the old Soviet Union and they all fly South for Winter. They were a life tick for me and when I do that Steppe run one day (following my Pallid Harriers North)I will try for a better shot. I feel inspired to go and try and snap the Greater Spotted Eagle at Ras Al Khow tomorrow or even try the vultures at Al Ain. Glad to be up and running again.


Cruising for a fresh carcass.

Steppe Eagle - Aquila nipalensis
Sir Baniyas Island - UAE
12 February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment