Wednesday, February 29, 2012

71 : Short-toed Lark


Short-toed Lark - Calandrella brachydactyla

I went for an afternoon at the Pivot Fields last Saturday afternoon and was lucky enough to bump into a small party of birders from the Emirates Naturalist Group being led on an organised day by a "local'' birder Neil Tovey. Neil kindly offered for me to join and tag along and I hopped into his car for a drive around the Pivot fields. Larks, Pippits and Wagtails are not really my thing as I have not put in the time really studying birds. I will have to ! So it was an education as well as being fun and its good to feel the enthusiasm that people have when you bird in a group. The Pivot Fields is a place where turf is grown commercially in Dubai and obviously as it sits on a flyway across the desert on migration it is a mini-Mecca for birds and birders.

I have a number of pictures of dots I need to blow up sort and post. I started with the Sociable Plover and Northern Wheatear. This Short-toed Lark is a bird I have not identified before. Its distinguished from skylark by a small distinct dark neck patch which if you blow up this pĂ­cture you can make out. There is also no "primary projection"of the very end wing feathers which would take it into Lesser Short-toed Lark territory. It is smaller than a skylark and lacks the beading on its front. Its bill is more conical and finch like. It has a clear row of markings on the covert feathers like a small row of squares. Unfortunatley you have to take care as there other overlapping Larks that have to be sorted out ! On this day there weer two other species of Larks flitting about.

The trick will be when I see a Lark myself and have to make the call which I need feel a bit more confident to do. I was bought a small spotting scope for Xmas that I will be able to hide clamp on the car - A long fast lens would again be useful !

Adventures in identification of little brown jobs.

Short-toed Lark - Calandrella brachydactala
Pivot Fields, Dubai, UAE
25 February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment