Friday, February 17, 2012

60 : Red-Whiskered Bulbul


Red-Whiskered Bulbul - Pycnonotus Jocosus

I remembered this little fellow from a patio feeding snap session at the Sugar Club in Mauritius so after posting up my first Bulbul earlier this eveing I thought that I would drag him out.

This cheeky chappy and his mates were bolder and brassier than many birds I have encountered but you cannot deny their ridiculous crest ! At breakfast they would sit on the giant light fittings on the breakfast veranda and shit on your plate if you weren't watching. Juice left on the table - bread everything was fair game for a snatch and grab. Despite their handsome appearance I went off them due to their breakfast habits.

This is an introduction to Mauritius according to my "Birds of the Indian Ocean Islands"book - I assume its a Southern African species as with most introductions down there. Thats my second Bulbul out of the 130 we have to get through at some point - that family will take us across into South East Asia. Frontiers in Bulbuling.

This is better than stamp collecting isn't it. At least I have to travel a bit. Mauritius is just 4 hours flight from Dubai which is just as well as I never took a picture of that Echo Parakete.

Red-Whiskered Bulbul - Pycnonotus Jocosus
Sugar Club - Mauritius
July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment