Saturday, March 31, 2012

96 : Richard's Pipit


Richards Pipit - Anthus richardi

This was a hard call for me because Pipits are a nightmare. This bird is clearly very upright which is quite diagnostic cf a Tawny Pipit which is the other regular Pipit at the Pivots which is much more horizontal in aspect and bleached out and sandy. The legs look a fuller pink to me and the sides are a much warmer buff. So its going up as a Richard's for now. I cannot make out the outer tail feathers and in any event Blyth's is a rarer bird in these parts.

Some birds will have to be posted with my best guess and in years to come no doubt some pedant can pull down a few identifications and I will be back on the road again with an automatic bird like robot that will shuffle up and grab a feather and perform an instant DNA test. This bird does look spookily just like the picture in Birds of the Middle East - posed perfectly.

Pivot Fields, Dubai, UAE
31 March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment