Monday, March 19, 2012

82 : Red-vented Bulbul


Red-Vented Bulbul - Pycnonotus cafer

The new camera has arrived. It is a Canon EOS 550 D to which I have added a 100-400mm image stablising fast lens. I have a x2 extender to fit into that (which would take it from x8 up to x16 magnification) but the disadvantage is that the auto-focus does not work with that piece of kit included.  The results should be immediate.  The major advanatge is another whole bunch of megapixels which means that when I crop a photo of a bird taken through the lens it should come out as good as the best little pictures I was taking on my hand held Panasonic Lumix thing.

Please do click on him to enjoy a slightly better view.

More exciting news is that I have booked a week's safari to Tanzania for the whole family this coming July. I have purchased a copy of Birds of East Africa and I am all set to go - yesterday !

This bird - I like the Red-vented Bulbuls - they are common bird around the compound. The smoky grey and charcoal plumage with the bright crimson vent is a striking combination.

So hopefully  my bird photography can take a step up now. Lets see.

Red-vented Bulbul, Pycnonotus cafer
API Villas, Al Barsha 1, Dubai, UAE
19 March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment