Saturday, March 31, 2012

98 : Grey Heron


Grey Heron - Ardea cinera

I am getting a bit cocky with my in-flight shots using a manual focus, sports mode and setting 2 for sideways panning anti camera shake. That's what a manual is for.

Gestaldt - good word - it means I will hit 100 this weekend after focusing on it a few weeks ago - 1% of the world's birds logged on my site. There was a time when the list of birds I had actually seen as a born-again birder was only 100. I started again in I think 1998 in earnest after a long break. If I had started this site then, or something like it, going at a bird a day I would still only have 5000 birds logged up. Man o man its takes a serious chunk of time to fulfil this Task. Absolute glacial pace. I would probably though have not got where I was with work or had children or indeed ever grown a carrot. It takes a day to find photograph and log up just 5 birds pretty much so I think it will be in fits and starts according to mood.

I am looking foward to Tanzania in July. I think with a following wind I should be able to get 200 or so species in the camera bag as it were in a week. I am sure that will make my family delighted - Mummy why has dad not spoken to us for 7 days. Because he's off the deep end again. Why is he ignoring that leopard (panthus panthus) - because there is a Kori's bustard behind it. I have actually been sneakily practicing by watching the equivalent of big cat diaries and ticking off birds in the background. Look theres a Courser - why on earth don't they tell people about that instead of the flipping meercat again !

I am about to restore balance to the world of safari with proper attention being paid to the things sat on the back of the black rhino - I am going to try themed pairs - Lion with...Elephant with...Crododile with...Jacana flying over Hippo...multitasking.

Warsan Pits, Dubai UAE
31 March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment