Monday, March 12, 2012

80 : Water Pipit


Water Pipit - Anthus spinoletta

Pesky Pipits ! I believe this long range snap is a water pipit as the front is less marked than other pipits, it has a quite distinct supercilium and a peachy wash to its front parts as it comes into breeding plumage. This was a tiny pipit like a mouse crawling around the feet of the bigger egrets and gulls is the margins created by the Pivot Fields sprayers.

(I have added some additional photos here taken in April 2013 just to give some better views. The pale supercilious is a give away).








This would be a top bird for me back in the UK, usually seen during passage and resting on the edge of a gravel pit somewhere in April or May. I am quite pleased to have found my own - helps your birding confidence.

Water Pipit, Anthus spinoletta
Pivot Fields, Dubai
10 March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment