Saturday, March 31, 2012

93 : Indian Roller



Indian Roller - Coracias benghalensis

Whenever someone says "ooh I saw a bird in the park the other day - amazing colours", I can guarantee it will turn out to be either a Hoopoe, Litte Green Bea-Eater or this fellow. The Indian Roller. If they say "amazing blue when it flew'' I know exactly what they saw.


Now I think I had the camera on the wrong setting but its the colours in flight with the irridescent blues and purples that catch peoples' eyes.



You can pretty much guarantee to see one in any of Dubai's parks if you keep a look out.



This bird sits on the bug pivot arm of the irrigation wheel at the Pivot Fields and picks up the worms and bugs forced to the surface by the water.


I will try again now that the camera is getting more familiar but for now I leave you with the kind of shots that remind me of the views you always get of these birds. Flashes of the most brilliant blues - electric, pulsing, shiny.



I have no idea what advantage they get from being these colours - I am glad they are though as they always brighten up a morning.

Indian Roller, Coracias benghalensis
Pivot Fields, Dubai
31 March 2012

1 comment:

  1. This is the bird that reminds me of growing up in Dubai in the 70's. Seem to remember similar colours on kigfishers in wadis of Ras al Khaimah.Jim

    ReplyDelete