Tuesday, March 20, 2012

84 : Bluethroat


Bluethroat - Luscinia svecia

I went to the Pivot Fields today after work but they would not let me in as the commercial enterprise shuts at 6pm. I decided to park up and walk along the wire fence on the outside. You will forgive the poor pictures but Bluethroat is a skulking bird and this is the second one I have seen in a lifetime. I set the camera on sports mode and hammered away. It was dark and there is probably a lot of camera shake.



Above : He bounced across from one piece of cover toward another

The first time I saw a Bluethroat it posed for me for 10 seconds showing off its brilliant chest before bouncing back into the reeds. These birds overwinter in Africa and the Middle East close to swampy ground where they can find it. In the Spring they head on up to arborial Asia - wooded trundra, marshy glades of spruce, willow and birch and shrubby wetlands. A far cry from this "turf"' farm in the United Arab Emirates that was home this Winter


Hopefully despite the blur you can make out the delightful sky blue, russet/peach, white and black bands and rings that make up the throat patterning.

What a peach indeed.

Bluethroat, Luscinia svecia
Warsan roadside, Dubai UAE
19 March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment