Saturday, March 24, 2012

91 : Wood Sandpiper


Wood Sandpiper - Tringa glareola

This is one of my favourite waders, It would lift a whole days birding in the UK for me. They were not widespread on passage and a real birder's bird. I love the plumage - the crisp white underparts and the beaded back. They are on their way up to the taiga forests of central Asia where they breed.

There were two of these birds at the Pivot fields today when I took my friend Spencer and his Dad who was visiting on a mini-birding safari. Very exciting to connect with these birds again. This is a literally a big puddle caused by overpsraying this corner of the field. We also saw snipe in the same spot but did not manage a picture. I am utilising the "stood next to mate'' rule for this shot as I was driving the hide and Spencer took up my camera on request to get this picture.

Not one but two - top drawer !

Wood Sandpiper, Tringa glareola
Pivot Fields, Dubai, UAE
24 March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment