Friday, June 1, 2012

125 : Indian Vulture


Indian Vulture - Gyps indicus

My first stop in India was a vulture sanctuary. A huge outcrop of rock rising up out of the plane at Ramnagar - probably an hour's drive from Bangalore. By 7.30 am the birds were already taking off and picking up the thermals - just falling foward off their ledges and soaring up and away. You can find the birds easily - follow the "splashing"'



If you have never seen a vulture in real life have a look at the nearest door to you - now stick a head the size of a small grapefruit on the front of a pringles tube as a neck and a ladies fan at the back for a tail. Thats about the size of it - they cast shadows !

I realise I post so many close up of birds I don't give too much idea of the scenery. This was the type of habitat we were in. Quite Wild West give or take the odd plam tree !


There were other species of vulture in evidence - our old friend Egyptian Vulture in particular.



I am off to Tanzania on safari in less than 7 weeks now. I will try and get some decent shots of vultures doing what vultures do. I've seen it once in Italy - a dead sheep in a field. Anyway 6 weeks and 5 days. I am beyond excitement - it should be the holiday of a lifetime. Every lunchtime I have been looking at another small section of Tanzanian birds. If I can see 100 birds in 2 days in Sri Lanka and now again in India I reckon there must be a real prospect to get something like 200 species cleared away in Tanzania in 8 days. I think I have to be careful to remember that I am there to see the mammals as well. My big 5 though in my heart of hearts are things like Kori's Bustard, Lappet-faced vulture, Shoebill (won't happen), African Fish Eagle and Secretary Bird. I'd swap a leopard for the latter - but not for the boys. I think I will have a Mammal page on the site as an offshoot. Just nice pictures if I can get some !

I know its not a numbers game and its just about lovely places and lovely birds - I kind of have my eye on my first 1000 photgraphed birds now. It feels very achievable somehow. I missed a few pictures in India - birds disapeared before I could get the camera set up - it stung - I had that real sense of what if they never come back ! Thats birding once you commit to seeing species.



I have not actually gone through the world list and counted how many species I have seen yet - I know I was on 240 or so for UK species. It takes a long time to go through it - I am in danger of losing track as the records of what I saw say in the caribean on holiday in 2000 are scattered to the four winds. At least this site should keep a record for me of what I have seen most recently. It has also caused me to buy a nice camera, go to India and learn to use it ! All very pleasing - I am not wasting my time on the planet this year.

Indian Vulture - Gyps indicus
Ramnagar near Bangalore, India
25 April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment