Sunday, June 24, 2012

152 : Paddyfield Pipit


Paddyfield Pipit - Anthus rufulus

Dilon and I ventured into a nationalised fodder farm and got stopped by the management. Not before we had managed to spot this little brown job. Now I am not going to confess to good enough views to identify it for myself in the field. By a process of elimiation from range I can see for myself now that it is a Paddyfield which was another life tick for me. Most of the birds I was seeing in India were life ticks or birds I had only seen once before in Sri Lanka.


I have to say the driver was really irritating me by this stage - would he shut up to 2 minutes so that I could focus on a bird - a constant stream of chitter chatter and mobile calls and he didn't speak a word of English. Quite alienating and by mid afternoon it was grating sorely. I know that he was saying things like "this guy is actually paying good money to drive around plowed fields looking for small brown birds - what a wierdo !" to the flocks of field labourers who would appear to gawp at what I was up to wherever we went.

I can remember actually saying something like " Are yoy incapable of being quiet for 2 minutes" at some point while I was trying to geta half decent shot of this bird as it pottered about in lumps of field twoce teh size of it at a range of 50m - no easy task !!

Paddyfield Pipit, Anthus rufulus
Karnataka, India
26 May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment