Friday, June 8, 2012

144 : Large Cuckooshrike


Large Cuckooshrike - Coracina macei

My second day in Karnakaka.

I believe Cuckooshrike is a misnomer. The bird is not a cuckoo in the sense that it is parasitical on other birds nests etc. It is a shrike that looks like a cuckoo. This photo was taken first thing in the morning and the bird was at distance and it was dark and drizzly. Beyond my photography skills. Thats my excuse ! The flash kept wanting to activate. I need to find the "be gone flash" button.

You can see the resemblance to a cuckoo in the fine barring on the chest (possibly seen if you click and blow up the photo a touch.


Looking in my books this bird is closely related to the Bar-Winged Flycactcher Shrike that I photographed at a restaurant stop in Sri Lanka.

Large Cuckooshrike, Coracina macei
The climb up to the Nandi Hills, Karnataka, India
26 May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment